(02) 6257 1788
Care inc. is a community organisation set up to ensure low income consumers are treated fairly and have support to overcome debt.
Care provides no-interest loans for people on low incomes to purchase essential household items.
Accredited by Good Shepherd Microfinance
Care offers a No Interest Loan Scheme (NILS) for people on low incomes to purchase essential household items such as fridges, washing machines, furniture or electrical appliances. Loans cannot be provided for bills, living expenses such as rent or repayment of debts.
The maximum you can borrow is $1500.
To be eligible you must:
Live in the ACT and surrounding district
Hold a Centrelink Pension or Health Care Card or worker on a low income
Have the capacity to repay the loan within 12-18 months
Have stable accommodation
To apply you can:
Ring and request an application form be sent to you.
Come into Care’s office to collect the application form
Download the application form by clicking here.
Once you have completed the application form, please return to:
PO Box 763, Civic Square, ACT 2608
If you meet the eligibility criteria, the loans officer will contact you to arrange an interview to discuss your application.
For more information contact Care on 02-62571788.
Frequently asked questions
Am I eligible?
You are eligible if the answer to the following questions is yes.
• Do you live or work in the ACT?
• Do you rent, own or are buying your current home?*
• Can you show capacity to repay the loan over a 12–18 month period?
• Do you hold a Centrelink Card?
• Are you a worker on a low income?
What can be purchased with a No Interest Loan?
• Whitegoods such as a fridge or washing machine
• Household furniture such as a beds or sofa
• Electrical items such as a television or computer
• Health Aids such as a walking frame or sleep apnea device
• Car repairs
Loans are not available for rent, bills, rent arrears or other debts
How much can I borrow?
• The maximum amount you can borrow is $1500. If the item you want costs more than $1500, you will need to have saved up the balance required before applying for the loan.
What happens next?
• If your application fits the eligibility criteria, you will be contacted by the NILS Administrator either by phone or mail to arrange a convenient appointment time.
What happens at the appointment?
• At your appointment the NILS Administrator will work through your Income and Expenditure sheet with you to see if you are able to afford the loan.
• The NILS Administrator will sight and copy all relevant documents eg your lease, recent utility accounts, Health Care Card, evidence of income
What happens if my loan is approved?
• You will be asked to sign a contract with the No Interest Loan Scheme. This contract sets out your rights and responsibilities. It outlines the amount that you will be lent and the number of and amount of payments. A cheque for the full loan amount will then be forwarded to the trader that you are purchasing the item from. It is your responsibility to arrange delivery of the item.
How do I pay the loan back?
• Loans are paid back by fortnightly payments either by Centrepay (which the Loans Administrator will organise for you) or by Deposit Book.
What if I have difficulty meeting the repayments?
It is important to contact the loans officer as soon as possible to discuss options such as reducing the repayments.
"Ensuring low income and vulnerable consumers are treated fairly and to support them to overcome debt"
Care Inc. Financial Counselling Service © 2012 Disclaimer: This site is not intended to replace direct financial counselling or legal advice. Every effort has been made to ensure the information on the site is accurate. Although we will update it regularly, there may be mistakes and things may change.